Monday, March 28, 2016

What's in My Reliquary? 10 Vintage Goth Essentials

Being a Vintage Goth doesn't happen by accident.  It takes some thought and planning to have everything you need on hand.  From years of experience, here is a list of things I carry in my everyday, roomy bag, and consider to be absolute essentials for every Goth.


1) Sunscreen ~ All Goths know the importance of sunscreen.  Not only does it prevent burns and sun damage, it also helps us maintain a fashionably pale look, if that is what we desire.  If you are serious about achieving the palest skin possible for you, just any old sunscreen won't do.  You need the best. I have tried them all, and my favorite by far is Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch in SPF 100.  It comes in both a spray and a lotion, and both are equally great.  The spray is a bit easier to apply on the go, so I recommend this product for your bag. It is as non-greasy as you can get with sunscreen, and really works well to avoid burning and tanning. Easily the best of the best. Here is a link where you can pick up a can and see for yourself how great it is!



2) Sunglasses ~ I never go anywhere without a great pair of sunglasses. Not only are they helpful against the glare of the sun, they also make you a little more mysterious.  My favorites are retro styles, like cat glasses.  When buying sunglasses, always check to make sure they have total UV protection, and that they suit your face shape and style.  There are so many ways to express yourself with glasses - the sky's the limit!  Just make sure your eyes are protected.


3) Scent ~ I only wear a handful of different perfumes, and often, none at all.  But it's always a good idea to have a little vial of scent with you in case you need a little lift.  Or a little defense against bad odor.  I sometimes buy scented oils through Etsy in sample trial sets, where you can order a few tiny bottles at once.  Lately I've been toting around a solid perfume by a company called For Strange Women. The scent is Antique Settee. It has the most delicious heady blend of tea, faded flowers, and dust.  I highly recommend For Strange Women, they have a great selection of scented oils, solid perfumes, and lip balms (their Absinthe Lips comes in the cutest tin!).  You can look at their Etsy shop here.

4) Book ~ As a Vintage Goth, it seems almost silly to be looking at a high-tech thing like my phone all day long.  I usually go for low-tech pastimes, and reading is my absolute favorite.  I have loved reading for my entire life, and carrying a book around is as second-nature to me as putting on shoes.  When you need to pass some time in a line, a doctor's office, or you're enduring some other lonely down-time, I encourage you to read a book instead of playing a game on your phone.  You will be educating yourself, and sending a positive message to others.  We don't all need to be plugged in 24/7.  What's in my reliquary this week?  A classic tale that borders on horror - Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.  Easily one of the greatest books ever written.  You will never be sorry if you add it to your library.



5) Lip Balm ~ Absolutely essential, lip balm keeps your lips soft and healthy in all kinds of weather.  I usually choose lip balms with a bit of red tint in them, to do double duty as a conditioner and as a lip color.  A couple of years ago I discovered my current favorite, which I now carry with me every day - e.l.f.  Lip Balm Tint in the color Berry.  The packaging is plain and not at all Gothic (or Vintage), but at only $2, that is beside the point.  This slim pot slips into your pocket if you want to run out without a bag, and is the perfect combination of lip balm and lip gloss - without being sticky. It has good pigmentation for a lip balm, and it tastes sweet as sugar. You can find e.l.f. products in discount stores, or shop online for their amazing cruelty-free and super inexpensive products here.

6) Lipstick ~ Sometimes you need more polish than you can get with just a lip balm.  We all have our favorite lipsticks, and I carry one or another with me at all times.  What's in my bag today?  City Color Be Matte Lipstick in the color Lola. I am so in love with this lipstick, it has become one of my all time favorites (but to be honest, I have a lot of lipstick favorites).  It has the perfect texture - not too creamy (which always fades) and not too dry.  The color is the perfect brilliant-deep red with blue undertones, and the best part?  It smells like roses!  I give City Color lipstick a huge positive recommendation.



7) Flashlight ~ Let's face it - you are hard to see at night, wearing all that black.  Carrying a flashlight at night not only helps you see better, it will help others see you.  If you need to walk a block or three to your car at night, be safe and use your flashlight.  You can pick them up almost anywhere.  The one in my bag is a black mini-maglight, but I have also used a mini plastic flashlight made to go on a key ring.  There are so many flashlights on the market, you're sure to find one that fits in your purse or pocket. If you're a denizen of the night, you're going to love having a little flashlight handy.  Get into the habit of always having one on your person, you will wonder how you ever did without it.

8) Notebook and Pen ~ I am ridiculous with notebooks.  I love them, I have scads of them.  Without a notebook I would be lost.  I love mini notebooks, hand-sized notebooks, and book-sized notebooks.  I love them fancy, plain, or funky.  They can be cheap, like a 99-cent composition book. Or they can be cool, like an artsy book that you buy from a museum gift shop.  Ot they can be expensive, like a hand-bound book that's meant to be kept and treasured. All notebooks are welcome in my life!  And all are equally loved.  I normally carry a cheap and pretty one in my bag, and use it to keep track of everything - people to call, ideas to write about,  shopping to do , and recipes to try.  Some pages have sketches or art or ideas.  Some have thoughts, poetry, lyrics, things to Do and Remember.  I guess you could say my notebook is a landing area for my thoughts, which sometimes need to be further sorted and put away in proper homes.  But without my notebook always at hand, I would forget much of these important scraps of information. Also, I do like the low-tech aspect.  Keeping it Vintage, yo. I think you will find a notebook very useful to have on hand, even if you're not crazy about them like I am.  As companions to the paper, I generally have two pens in my bag (just in case one runs out).  I prefer Bic Cristal pens in black, because they are reliable, inexpensive, and retro.  Right now though, I have one Bic in black, and one in hot pink!   During back-to-school time I usually find some fashion color Bic Cristals to add a little fun to my notebooks.
Best pen ever.

9) Parasol or Collapsing Umbrella ~ If you are like me, and seek to maintain your lightest natural skin tone, an umbrella is your best friend.  It's also fantastic to have portable shade when everyone else is frying in the heat.  If you wear black like I do, you will especially appreciate the relief a parasol can bring you.  Lately I've been carrying a full-sized parasol with a spiderweb design, but often I carry a plain black collapsing umbrella because it fits in my bag. An umbrella will help you beat the heat, vibe vintage, and avoid sun damage and aging.  How's that for a fabulous Goth accessory?  Be a Shady Lady and always carry your shade with you.

10) Fan in Summer, Gloves in Winter ~ I only recently added a fan to my reliquary, when my sister and nieces gave me one for my birthday last year.  It's the perfect thing to carry along - lightweight, collapsing into a slim shape that easily fits in your purse - you will always have room for this useful item.  Snap it open in a hot, crowded room, and people will tell you how smart you are.  I have seen black, Gothy fans at the dollar store, in ethnic markets, and other out-of-the way places.  Take a cue from the great ladies of the past, and flirt with your fan.  When things turn too cold for a breezy fan, I always keep a pair of warm gloves in my bag.  Easy to find at all price points, and in all styles, there's never a reason to have cold, dry hands.  Since fans are a little harder to find, here's a link to one that should please any Vintage Goth.



I hope you have enjoyed my 10 Vintage Goth Essentials.  These are items I hate to find I've left behind, and normally double check to make sure I have them (along with my wallet and keys) before I leave the house.  Tell me below what your essentials are.  What do you carry in your bag every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment